Question, Persuade, Refer (QPR) Suicide Prevention Training
The ADAMHS Board of Cuyahoga County is providing free QPR Training to gatekeepers in Cuyahoga County. A gatekeeper is anyone in a position to recognize a crisis and warning signs that someone may be contemplating suicide.
Question, Persuade, and Refer (QPR) teaches three simple steps that anyone can learn to help save a life from suicide. Just as people trained in CPR and the Heimlich Maneuver help save thousands of lives each year, people trained in QPR learn how to recognize the warning signs of a suicide crisis and how to question, persuade, and refer someone to help.
Gatekeepers include primary health care providers, teachers, law enforcement, correctional staff, community volunteers, hospice and nursing home staff, mental health and substance abuse providers, family members, friends, neighbors, colleagues, youth ministers, coaches, academic advisors, Sunday school teachers, and supervisors in the workplace.
The American Association of Sociology reports that 45% of individuals who die by suicide visit their primary care physician within one month of their death and 20% visit within 24-hours. And this “last medical contact” before suicide is even higher among the elderly, with almost 50% of suicide victims having seen their doctor within the past week.
How this benefits you, your employees, community, and organization:
· Supporting and promoting this QPR Training will help prevent deaths by suicide in Cuyahoga County and will help to reduce the stigma associated with mental illness.
· The QPR Training serves as an educational opportunity to teach healthcare professionals in Cuyahoga County their potential role in suicide intervention and prevention- that they are in a position to identify and refer suicidal individuals to get help
· Health care professionals have been recognized as key gatekeepers, who are in need of training in the identification and management of suicide and depression (Sudak et al., 2007; U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2001).
· 90% of people in a suicidal crisis will give some kind of warning of their crisis/intent to those around them.
· QPR is intended to teach those who are in a position to recognize the warning signs, clues and suicidal communications of people in trouble to act vigorously to prevent a possible tragedy.
What the ADAMHS Board will provide:
· The ADAMHS Board will provide a certified QPR Instructor to conduct a free one to two hour training session.
· In October 2014, a group of 27 Cuyahoga County professionals were trained to become certified QPR Instructors at the ADAMHS Board, with the help of a grant from the Margaret Clark Morgan Foundation.
· This instructor will come prepared with all materials, including resources.
· If it is convenient for the trainee group, the session may be held on site at the company/organization/community group’s location or individual doctor’s offices or at The Academy of Medicine of Cleveland & Northern Ohio (AMCNO) at 6100 Oak Tree Blvd., Suite 440 in Independence. The ADAMHS Board also provides free conference space at 2012 W. 25th Street, 6th Floor, Cleveland 44113.
· Complimentary snacks and light refreshments will be provided during the training.
· The ADAMHS Board is only providing this training in Cuyahoga County.
· This training is completely free to your organization and to those who receive the training.
The ADAMHS Board QPR Training is supported by The Academy of Medicine of Cleveland & Northern Ohio (AMCNO).
QPR Training has been supported by the American Association of Suicidology and the American Psychiatric Association.
QPR Institute has been listed as an evidence-based practice in the National Register of Evidence-based Practices and Policies (NREPP). The purpose of the registry is to assist the public and program-adopters to identify scientifically based approaches to preventing and treating mental and/or substance use disorders and prevent suicide. Only 12 suicide prevention programs or interventions have met the rigorous quality of research and readiness for dissemination requirements for listing.
To schedule a QPR Training, contact Katie Boland, External Affairs Specialist at the ADAMHS Board at email@example.com or 216- 241- 3400 x812.